Saturday, January 9, 2010

Creating a Space to Paint--easel



This picture shows my basic easel idea

---- spanning a double book shelf

Which provided space to keep books and supplies and

whatever.

Studio Easel--Red Shoe Studio--Apache Junction, AZ
2002

(My original 1985 easel was just a simple framework
that leaned up against the wall.)




Then the easel evolved into this version.

It also had a twin there out of view on the right .

The two easels linked together allowed me to paint an 18 by 6 foot triptych

once upon a time.


A close up here shows the basic idea.

Holes drilled in the vertical wood side ends.

I've always used these giant nails to hold up the cross piece--

they might be called concrete nails--

About a foot long.





Now this is the latest incarnation. I designed it and a friend of ours built it.

This time no book shelves behind--no sliding doors.

A small shelf at the top attached to the wall --12 inches deep--

supports the flat surfaced easel.

And gives me a place for my special books

with storage for extra canvases behind.





I considered buying a free standing easel for my new studio--

but I like to be able to move the painting up or down

all together or one end or the other.

I paint mostly horizontal large paintings

which doesn't work so well with even the most expensive free standing easel.

I usually sit to paint--but with this I could stand.

We built the extra cross board

to hold small paintings when I'm working on a series.

These little ones are from the series

"When Poppa Brought the Rain Home."




If you can't have your own personal studio right now--

You could have your own closest studio

using this idea.

Put everything inside--even the painting holding horizontal board

and the giant nails.

The two vertical rows of holes

would be the only visible clue.





My new Red Shoes Studio

Shanrila-la
Oregon House, CA