Thursday, February 4, 2010

Paul Davis



Our friend and fellow artist Paul Davis passed away--
just a few days ago.


Paul was born in the same town
that Greg and I were-Cushing, Oklahoma.
However his family moved from Cushing before Greg and I arrived there--
so we never met.


Paul and I even attended the same college.
He was a few years older and had already moved on before I arrived.


It wasn't till the mid 90's that we at last met Paul

and his wife Donna.
Greg represented Paul's paintings for quite a few years in Scottsdale,
During that time we were able to collect several of his landscapes--
Like the small one here in the dinning room.
His use of color really gives you
the feeling of the Southwest.


In the mid to late 90's Paul and I shared an upstairs studio.
I enjoyed those days.
We talked now and then
but mostly we painted.


I remember more than once looking over at the painting
he was working on--
and thinking to myself --What A great color!
It was inspiring.
To see a color and how he had used it with other colors---
in away I had not imagined.



One day we were talking about technique or something or other
and he said,

"Well you know it's all an illusion."



This is one of Paul's newer paintings.
I found it on the http://www.wildemeyer.com/