Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Amazing.....

I found this today when I was reaserching on line--
we have an elm tree that is leaning and my idea was that
perhaps pruning it would help.
I stumbled upon these wise words.
And tried to go tell the author that I thought
what he said was beautiful.
But I couldn't find a way to connect.
It was posted on the Village Garden web---
Re:drake Elm tree pruning

"If the tree is only three years old, I would wait. The tree, given
a little time, may develop more of its own potential. If you decide to prune too soon,
you may not only slow the growth of the tree, but miss some
possibilites that may become more apparent later. It is easy to look
at a small tree and think that as it grows larger it will reflect the same
characteristics, but often on its own a tree transforms itself. For
example, a crook in a trunk becomes completely overgrown so it is
no longer a problem, or a small fork at the top disappears as one side rapidly
outgrows the other and that bends down to become a side branch.
And as this side branch grows the trunk thinkens, even the narrow branch
angle at the trunk is altered.
Have a little patience and think about shaping up this tree a little in two
or three years, unless some really obvious problem seems to be developing."
Spruce